Tuesday 14 November 2017

To Be Alive Is To... - 07

“Right Dom what do you have for me?”

“Well I’ve set up my laptop to watch you play, fucking immense man. Looked like you were going to lose your shit at that probe though. RTG reactors work on, well... Radiation.” I hear him speak through my helmet, he must have connected his mic to his laptop as well.

“So what? Throw it into space and hope the background radiation powers it?”

“Nah mang, take it apart with your torque and throw some uranium, platinum whatever it inside. Here I’ve got a basic diagram from NASA.”

I stood there in disbelief for a moment before he elaborate.

“Google.” He elaborated, it saves the day again. ‘From what I understand from the wiki page, it runs on the heat and decay of the radioactive materials to create the electricity.’

What else could possibly hold enough radioactive materials for me in one go? How would I attach the RTG to a battery? I’ve reached a dead end and I don’t know how to break through it.

“Is there anything that can hold a lot of radioactive materials?”

“Smoke detectors have Americium or throw a few bananas in there. They don’t all have to be the same material as long as it works for you right?”

I thought about my options some more. I could try and hook up my stasis pod battery to another one to wake up someone, but that would give me under four hours battery life total between us before everything switches off. Currently though, I’m sitting at a nice seven hours in game time.

“I think I have a plan.” As I head in there once more.

“You’re looking for Alpha particles by the way, FYI and all that jazz.”

I almost fly to my pod and scramble around the back of it to remove the battery inside, it’s about the size of my torso, but that doesn’t mean shit in 0G.

I fly along from pod to pod, looking at their jobs and you could use the term ‘cherry picking’ here. That is until I come across a engineer, I have no idea what kind of engineer. Could be a computer software engineer, but he’s fully EVA’d up and that is good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment